Rockdale United Methodist Church
1500 Old Mill Rd. (off of Kelly Lane)
Dubuque, IA 52003
Phone : 563. 556.3056 or 563.590.7687
About Our Church
In November of 1833 Barton Randle preached the first Methodist sermon in Dubuque and the following June a log church was built on the present site of Washington Park. Many class meetings were formed quickly as non-indian settlers moved into the area.
Among those settlers influenced by John Wesley, was a group from Swaledale Valley in Yorkshire, England who arrived in 1834. Its class meeting was first led by Richard Waller and by 1835 a new congregation was formed. The articles of incorporation were signed in 1836 and the members first used a log schoolhouse located just north of the present church of worship in 1838. A formal church was built between 1843 and 1846. The church took the its name from the native town of its members in England, which was Rockdale.
The church gave birth to two daughter churches when Center Grove was formed in 1852 and Reed's Chapel in 1867.
Rockdale United Methodist Church will become a more visible presence of grace in the community.
Rockdale UMC will develop recognition of a need for God in everyone's life, resulting in increased participation in worship activities.